This one is my 50th quick tip (yeah!), where I show how to bake a height map out of C4D. This height map is needed in game engines for example, or if you want to have a nice starting map to paint on in Photoshop.
The chore technique consists of these steps:
– put a linear interpolated 2D-V gradient into a materials luminance channel
– deactivate linear workflow in the project settings (cmd+d on a mac or ctrl+d on a pc)
– get your uv map right, so it is a perfect square with evenly divided uv quads
– set your material to flat projection and make the gradient fit to your object with the the fit to object command
– bake out your height map :)
Links of interest: